I am a big fan of throwing things into bowls and calling it dinner. This Greek-inspired bowl was filled with the flavors of the Mediterranean: lemon, oregano, dill, basil. This meal is chock full of protein from the chicken, the quinoa, the chickpeas and the tzatziki sauce. It was a slightly different take on my Greek Chicken Souvlaki recipe I shared back in March. You can find the recipe for the tzatziki sauce there!
I also paired it with a side of whole wheat pita and Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus. Toast the pita and you’re golden.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup tri-color quinoa
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Tzatziki sauce
- 15oz can of garbanzo beans
- 1 cucumber, cut into 1/4 pieces
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Rice vinegar, to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juice
- Place chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag and marinate with 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, juice of 1/2 lemon, salt, pepper, oregano and basil for about two hours.
- Add cup of quinoa and 2 cups water to a rice cooker. Set to cook.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil at medium heat. Add garlic and saute for one minute.
- Add peppers and red onion, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Saute for about three-four minutes, add wine and cover. Turn heat down to medium-low.
- Combine garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, feta, extra virgin olive oil and vinegar in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- While quinoa, peppers and onion are cooking, heat your grill to about 400 degrees.
- Grill chicken for about nine-ten minutes on each side.
- Remove the cover off of the peppers and onion. When they have a bit of char and are soft to poke with a fork, remove from heat.
- Assemble bowls with quinoa, cucumber-tomato-chickpea salad, peppers and onion, chicken, and top with tzatziki sauce. Sprinkle with fresh dill to garnish.