I am always trying to switch up my side dishes. Especially when I’m eating something sort of blasé like grilled chicken or steak. This broccoli Waldorf salad popped into my head out of nowhere, and is definitely worth sharing!
So, what the heck is a Waldorf salad? I’ll tell ya what it is.
It is a salad traditionally made with chopped apples, celery and walnuts, with a mayonnaise-based dressing, and normally served over lettuce. It is named after the Waldorf hotel (now the Waldorf-Astoria) in New York City, where it was first served in the 1800’s.
Okay, let’s move onto MY version.
We now know what the original Waldorf salad is made of, but I wanted to mix it up a bit, all while making it a bit more healthy. And adding bacon, ’cause… bacon.
I added broccoli, substituted walnuts for slivered almonds, a pear for an apple, greek yogurt for mayonnaise, and subtracted celery, which you can keep, I just wasn’t in a celery mood. Now, yes, I know what you’re thinking: “but you added bacon – how is that healthier?”. Well, I cooked three strips of bacon, dried them to suck the grease out, and cut them into little pieces to toss into the salad. I don’t classify that amount of bacon as detrimental to the healthfulness of this salad.
It was such a refreshing combination of sweetness from the dressing, grapes and pear, and saltiness from the bacon. Definitely beats a plain side salad or steam broccoli.
- 1/3 cup 0% fat greek yogurt
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup red, seedless grapes, halved
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 lemon, juice
- 1 pear, chopped
- Combine the greek yogurt, honey, lemon juice, salt, pepper and Greek yogurt in a small bowl and whisk together. Refrigerate until ready to add.
- Set a large pot of water to boil. Steam the broccoli until bright green and you can easily pierce with a fork.
- Remove from water and let cool in a bowl for about ten minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- I usually microwave bacon, but I chose to pan dry this instance. If you'd rather microwave (for crispier texture!), simply place strips on a microwavable safe dish, lay a paper towel on top, and microwave according to package settings.
- For pan frying, heat a nonstick pan to medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Add bacon and cook on each side until dark brown and crispy. Place bacon on top of a plate prepared with a paper towel, then add another paper towel on top to soak up the grease.
- Be careful - let the grease sit in the pan until it's cooled or throw it outside. Do not pour it into your sink.
- Once the bacon is cooled, tear or cut it into little pieces.
- Combine the broccoli, grapes, almond slivers, bacon bits, pear and dressing in a bowl. Toss to combine.