This black bean hummus combines the concept and technique of Mediterranean cooking, with the flavors and textures of Mexican cuisine. This recipe is super easy and great for entertaining!
A few months ago, I was in Gainesville visiting Christian. We went out to dinner to one of our favorite spots downtown, The Top. It’s one of those places where you dream about a dish, stop what you’re doing and go. Just for that meal. However, this night in particular, we were feeling a little more risky. As in, we ordered something new. *woah*
Instead of our usual ‘garlic and goat’ appetizer (a bowl of olive oil, roasted peppers, olives, goat cheese and crostini), we went for the guacamole, black bean hummus, and plantain chip appetizer. I swear, ever since that night I’ve been dreaming about making my own black bean hummus. After making this recipe and realizing how easy it is, I’m not really sure what took me so long.
Hummus, as we all know, is ridiculously versatile. This hummus, specifically, can be used in various ways:
- Smear it on a burrito or a wrap
- Dip with tortilla chips or veggies
- Plop it into a burrito bowl instead of whole black beans
- Mix it with canned tuna or shredded chicken for a healthier tuna/chicken salad
- Make a flatbread and replace sauce with hummus
After searching high and low for some tahini (sesame paste), I actually… never found it. It wasn’t at the grocery store, it wasn’t at Target. So, I made my own. And it was super easy. Here’s how I did it:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay a cup of sesame seeds across a baking pan. Place the pan (while the oven is pre-heating) into the oven and set the time to ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, remove the toasted seeds and place in a food processor. Drizzle the seeds with olive oil, and process until a paste is formed.
Boom. That’s it.
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup queso fresco
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more salt and oil if needed.
- Serve topped with queso fresco, scallions and cilantro.
Pin it for later!