These 5-Ingredient Mini Strawberry Pie Cups are the perfect, easy, light Summer sweet snack or dessert. Utilize those fresh strawberries and whip these up in under 30 minutes!
I’m going to confess something right now, but you can’t tell anyone.
I’ve never liked fruit mixed with dessert.
OKAY STOP YELLING. Maybe just apples, actually. Here’s what I mean… it’s more of a texture thing, I think. I seriously cannot stomach cooked apples. Like in apple pie. It’s making me nauseous right now thinking about it – they get all… soggy. Blegh. But there is one fruit that I actually, really enjoy with dessert, and that’s the incredible edible strawberry.
I honestly cannot explain it to you right now, but they just work. Their texture does not change much when cooked, and their flavor is only amplified. Some fruits, to me, become sour when cooked. For me, the flavor of strawberries is still wonderful after baking. And the simplicity of this dish, thanks to the sweet, refreshing flavor of strawberries, is unlike any other. Tart strawberries combined with smooth, sweet honey and tangy orange zest, nestled in a crispy pie crust. There’s nothing better.
A few quick notes about this recipe:
- I only made six cups using one premade Pillsbury pie crust; if you want to fill an entire muffin tin, I suggest using two. And if you want to top each little pie with another layer of pie crust, use the third crust. I created three different styles of pies so you can see a couple more options for decorating.
- I went through an entire pie crust testing out the size of which I needed to make the bottom layers. First I tried a cup, then I tried a mason jar, and then I tried a mini bowl. Mini bowl for the win! The size of the circles needs to exceed the size of the muffin wells so that the cups actually form… cups.
- If you’re wanting to make each pie cup a mini pie with a cover (see below for example), I recommend using your finger and lining the edge of the pie crust with water before placing the top layer on, so that it sticks together. Additionally, you can use a fork to pierce the edges so it sticks better.
- 10 strawberries, chopped into little pieces
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest
- 1 Pillsbury pie crust
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a muffin tin.
- Roll out a pie crust using a rolling pin. Be sure to flour your work surface, your rolling pin, and the crust.
- Using a small bowl, cut out cups from the crust and press into the muffin tin. This recipe calls for six cups (1 pie crust).
- Combine the chopped strawberries, honey, and orange zest in a small bowl and mix well.
- Whisk one egg until scrambled. Using your finger, spread egg wash on the edges of each pie cup.
- Spoon strawberry mixture into each cup until each cup is evenly filled.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and crispy.
What is one popular food item that you cannot stand (and feel alone on your feelings of said food item)? (Besides cooked apples disgusting me, I am actually not a huge fan of coconut. Don’t hate me.)
What is your favorite Spring/Summer dessert using fruit?
Did you like this recipe? Don’t forget to pin it for later!