Take a trip out West with this super easy, simple, protein-packed California Club Breakfast Sandwich on a toasted sesame bagel with melted, creamy mozzarella cheese.
Rare are the days of no oatmeal for breakfast.
I eat oatmeal almost every single day. Pretty much like it’s my job. But some days, I feel a little out-of-the-box. I feel adventurous, spontaneous. And I make a savory breakfast.
Is that… salt? FOR BREAKFAST?
This sandwich, or… bagelwich, is one of my favorite combinations for a savory breakfast. The traditional California Club sandwich is a combination of toasted bread with lettuce, tomato, bacon, avocado and sometimes, cheese. I mixed and matched for this particular bagelwich. I’ve almost always got mozzarella on-hand, so to stay true to what mornings are like for me (aka, I don’t go grocery shopping to make breakfast), I went with some mozz. And I must say, it was an excellent choice.
And if you can’t tell, breakfast sandwiches with a sunny side up egg are a bit of a mess. To avoid the pool of yolk (which I happen to like), you can scramble or hard-boil your eggs.
Instead of traditional bacon, I use turkey bacon. Why? Because, unfortunately, my digestive system can’t handle the fat content in traditional bacon. Turkey bacon is a great alternative for me, and the flavors are certainly not sacrificed.
This savory breakfast actually reminds me of when I tried Whole 30.
In the Whole 30 ‘diet’ (I know it’s not a diet, but for the sake of efficiency, I’m using that word), you are prohibited from eating oats. So, what’s a girl to do without oats? I got pretty creative with my Whole 30 breakfasts, using foods like sausage eggs, fruit, spinach, and more. And it’s funny, because sometimes I stand in the kitchen while pondering what I’ll eat for breakfast, and I think “I should probably eat a savory breakfast this morning”. For some reason, I always think that a savory breakfast is healthier and will fill me up more than my usual bowl of proats (protein + oats).
Funny story: I lasted a total of two weeks on the Whole 30 diet.
And ironically, while it was totally unsustainable for me, I felt amazing while doing it. Despite the trials and tribulations that came with my digestive system acclimating to such a change, I had so much energy and was sleeping better than ever. Additionally, it made me realize how much sugar I was consuming on a daily basis. Ohhh, my weakness.
- 1 bagel of choice (I used sesame)
- 1 large egg
- 3 strips of turkey bacon
- ¼ Hass avocado
- 1 slice of buffalo mozzarella cheese, cut in fourths
- Cut the bagel in half.
- Place the four pieces of mozzarella on top of the bottom half of the bagel.
- Place both bagel halves (with cheese on the bottom half) into a toaster oven.
- Toast for about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick saute pan over medium heat. *Optional: spray with olive oil or coconut oil spray.
- Add bacon and cook, turning consistently, for about five minutes, or until crispy. Place a paper towel on top of a plate. When bacon is finished, place on top of paper towel/plate.
- Wash the pan and re-spray.
- Break the egg into the pan. Cook for a few minutes, or until membrane is completely white. It's okay for the bottom to brown!
- Place the bacon on top of the mozzarella on the bottom half of the bagel.
- Using a fork, smear the avocado on the top half of the bagel.
- Place the egg on top of the bacon, and close your sandwich.
- It is enjoyed easier when cut in half.
Join the conversation:
Sweet or savory breakfast?!
If you like savory, give me some ideas!
Did you like this recipe? Be sure to pin it for later!