These Balsamic Prosciutto Green Beans are the perfect side dish with crunchy green beans, smooth, salty prosciutto, a bite of balsamic vinegar, and sweet shallots and leeks.
Growing up, I watched my mom completely shut. it. down. when it came to Thanksgiving. She’s a wonderful cook already, but the woman is a super hero when it comes to our Thanksgiving feast. I never cooked in high school, so while I tried to help her as best as I could, she was still doing most of the cooking.
Then, in college, I started to help a bit more. I would make my own recipe and add it to the Thanksgiving lineup.
Now that I’m older and I’ve really honed my cooking skills, I’m at a point where I’m ready to provide more to the feast. One of the things I will be making this year are these Balsamic Prosciutto Green Beans.
Every year, my mom makes green peas with shallots and pancetta. I took that idea and transformed it using green beans, prosciutto, leeks, shallots, garlic… you guys, the flavors in this side dish are unbelievable.
One of the additions I provided last year was actually to Christian’s family. We’ve been dating for about four years, and last year was the very first Thanksgiving we spent together (thanks to college football). We spent some time as his family’s house, then made our way to my family’s. The dish I contributed to his family’s dinner was my Quinoa Harvest Salad. You guys, it was a total hit!
I totally plan on bringing these Balsamic Prosciutto Green Beans this year, and I plan on them being a total hit, too!
The combination of flavors and textures in this dish is wonderful.
- 16 oz fresh green beans, washed and stems cut off
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, sliced into circles
- ¼ cup water
- 3 slices prosciutto, ripped up
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Set ~2 cups of water to boil. Add in green beans and boil for about ten minutes, or until soft and pierceable with a fork.
- When green beans are finished, drain and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a small saute pan over medium heat. Add in garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Add in minced leek, shallot, salt, and pepper.
- Add in water and mix together. Saute for about 8-10 minutes, or until translucent.
- Pour green beans into a mixing bowl. Add garlic, leek, shallot mixture and mix well. Add in prosciutto. Mix well.
- Add balsamic vinegar and toss.
What is your g0-to contribution to Thanksgiving dinner?
Pin this post to Pinterest for later!