Believe it or not, I haven’t whipped out the Spiralizer in a good minute.
Well, let’s be real here… I haven’t been cooking very much. I have been so busy that I tried to drink a candle… yes, I grabbed the candle thinking it was my water, put it up to my lips, and said out loud “oh, this is a candle”. That kind of busy.
Unfortunately, I’m not very good at drumming up energy to cook when I’m busy, tired, lazy, what have you. I’m working on it. What you don’t see is the scrambled eggs or pile of leftovers that I eat for dinner on busy days. One tactic I’ve successfully carried out is to just buy something that I know will go bad if I don’t use it. Cue salmon.
I bought two salmon fillets on Sunday with the purpose of making myself cook this week. Well, it worked. However, I’m getting pretty tired of my usual baked salmon fillets. So, I figured, why not make them into meatballs? I have always loved sweet potato fries as a side dish to my salmon, so I figured sweet potato noodles were the perfect carb. Add another veggie and a yummy sauce, and call it a day.
This recipe was super easy, and a great, healthier play on one of my favorite dishes: spaghetti and meatballs. Whole, fresh ingredients combine to create a mouthwatering, nutrient-rich meal.
- 2 fresh, skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1 in. cubes
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 2 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- *Optional: water to loosen texture
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking pan.
- Put the salmon in a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add salmon to a bowl, and combine the remaining ingredients. Use your hands to combine well. An ice cream scoop works well to get evenly sized meatballs.
- Scoop out, form with your hands, and place on the baking sheet. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- For the noodles, spiralize the zucchini and sweet potato and set aside. This is something that can be done before the meatballs, if you want to get it out of the way!
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add garlic and saute for about a minute. Add noodles, salt, and pepper. Use tongs to combine ingredients, and cover.
- When the noodles begin to soften, turn off the heat.
- For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor, and blend until your desired texture is reached. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little bit of water to loosen it.
- Serve meatballs atop noodles, then drizzle sauce and fresh cilantro leaves on top. Enjoy!