These Vegan Funfetti Donuts with Coconut Buttercream are the sweet breakfast you’ve been dreaming about. Enjoy the moist center, smooth and sweet buttercream, and pops of crunch with colorful sprinkles.
Even though I’ve made plenty of donuts, these here were a first. They’re vegan! Yes, me, Christina, made a vegan dessert recipe.
And for my carnivore friends who automatically correlate the word ‘vegan’ with ‘fake’ or ‘gross’ – then I have to say, you can’t “tell that these are vegan”. Trust me – my meat-eating old school Cuban grandfather ate these up real quick.
The main ingredient replacement here? Coconut oil. That’s right – the nectar of the Gods to many, but the first time I’ve used this ingredient.
As a food blogger, I feel like many will be shocked by that statement. But it’s true. This is the first time I used coconut oil. There, I said it. It’s out there. Can we move on?
No? Okay, the reason I’d never used it, is because I hate coconut. The flavor is gross, the texture freaks me out… so I assumed that coconut oil was right down that alley. But damnnnn Christina – you’ve been missing out!
I didn’t want to do yet another glaze overtop my donuts, so I went with a buttercream. But as you know from the name ‘buttercream’, it ain’t vegan. With the strength of a stand-mixer, the texture of coconut oil, and a little determination, I made some coconut buttercream to top these babies!
The weird thing about these donuts is, upon feeding them to my family, I am the only one who doesn’t taste the coconut. The donuts contain coconut oil, obviously the buttercream contains coconut oil, and I just do not taste the coconut! And I’m the only one who hates coconut.
Immediately upon his first bite, Christian said “oh, coconut!”. BUT I DON’T TASTE IT. What’s wrong with me?! All I taste is the sweetness! Have I become so immune to coconut after years of never consuming it? If someone has an answer, please let me know. And if you hate coconut like me, I encourage you to make this recipe. You probably won’t taste the coconut just like my crazy ass.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil (microwaved for 10 seconds)
- 1 flax egg (1 tsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sprinkles
- Coconut Buttercream:
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Almond milk to thin
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a donut pan.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine flax egg, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and almond milk. Stir to combine.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, and sprinkles. Mix until batter is formed.
- Spoon batter into donut rounds about ¾ way filled.
- Add additional sprinkles atop each donut.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Clean your mixer bowl, and use for buttercream next. Buttercream is best made using an electric mixer.
- Add in powdered sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Turn on mixer at a high speed. Almost like you're making whipped cream.
- Add almond milk to thin texture while mixing. Keep mixing until buttercream texture is formed.
- When donuts are baked, spread buttercream atop each donut, and garnish with sprinkles atop each one!
Which do you prefer: funfetti cake or funfetti cookies?
What’s your favorite way to use coconut oil?
Did you like this recipe? Pin it for later!