If there’s one thing I love in life, it’s a good bowl of stuff.
I love cooking a variety of tasty foods and just assembling them all together in a bowl. This time, I added fresh roasted garlic to the mix. Let me start with a how-to:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grab a whole head of garlic and cut the end off, leaving its’ cloves and skin intact (mine fell apart, it’s okay if it does!).
3. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Wrap in aluminum foil, and bake for about 40 minutes.
5. When ready, squeeze the garlic out of its skin like toothpaste!
This bowl was bursting with flavor, and my whole family loved it. If you have time, marinate the chicken ahead of time in extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. This is the simplest marinade, and it always seems to give the chicken a great flavor. Two hours before cooking is fine.
I divided the roasted garlic in half. One half was used for sautéing mushrooms, while the other half was used in sautéing kale. Each worked perfectly with the garlic, but anything in this recipe can be replaced with whichever food you prefer! The perfect bowl (in my opinion) contains a protein, a green, a vegetable, a carb, and toppings. The cilantro, scallions and cashews were a heavenly trio to finish out the meal.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package of white mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups of kale greens
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into fries
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 5 scallions
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 handful of roasted, salted cashews, roughly chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Pre-heat the oven to 400.
- Place the sweet potato fries on a baking sheet and drizzle with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Place in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in two medium to large pans, begin to heat up a drizzle of olive oil to medium heat in each. Add the roasted garlic. When it begins to sizzle, move it around a little, and add the mushrooms and kale to their respective pans.
- When the mushrooms begin to cook, pour the white wine in, stir, and cover.
- Sprinkle the kale with lemon pepper seasoning, salt and pepper, and cover.
- While everything is cooking, you can either grill the chicken or cook it on the stove. If you are cooking on a stove, simply brown the chicken, then bake it at 350 for about twenty minutes to make sure it cooks all the way through. When grilling, cook the chicken for about 20 minutes, turning over about three times.
- When the sweet potato timer goes off, switch the oven to broil, and broil for about five minutes. Make sure you keep an eye on this! It can burn easily.
- When the mushrooms are browned and the kale is wilted, turn off the heat.
- Serve bowls topped with fresh cilantro, chopped cashews and scallions.
What do you like to throw in a bowl and enjoy?
What’s your go-to meal when you’re in a hurry?