These Chocolate Chip Coffee Muffins are great for a quick, energizing breakfast, or a lighter, chocolatey dessert.
If you couldn’t tell by the addition of coffee in this recipe, I’ve become slightly obsessed with adding coffee to almost everything. I just love the delicious subtlety the coffee flavor adds.
Since I used instant coffee for both of these recipes (as opposed to regular ground coffee), I thought I would explain why. The reason instant coffee is used in baking instead of your usual, ground coffee, is because instant coffee (freeze-dried coffee) requires no further liquid to add that coffee flavor. Instant coffee is easily rehydratable, hence the term instant coffee: a cup of coffee can be made in an instant with the addition of hot water.
When baking, the ingredient proportions are so sensitive that instant coffee is the recommended way to go. If you add regular, fine coffee in the mix, you’ll end up having to compensate and add extra liquids, which throws everything off.
To get a more intense coffee flavor in your baking, you can switch out the instant coffee for instant espresso!
These muffins are…
These muffins can also be made dairy-free by subbing in dairy-free chocolate chips.
The batter will be on the thicker side; don’t worry! That’s how it’s supposed to be. However, this does mean you should keep an eye on your muffins while they are baking to prevent over-baking them and drying them out.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs instant coffee or espresso
- 2/3 cup chocolate almond milk
- 5 tbs vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add the instant coffee, the sugar and the baking powder. Combine with a whisk until mixed well.
- Add the flour in batches and whisk together.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into each muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Keep an eye on them!
What is one ingredient you are currently obsessed with?
Do you eat muffins for dessert, too? (Or am I just weird?)